To get permission from Ofsted they must have worked through the application process -
- EY2 is now done online - http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years-and-childcare/become-childcare-provider-or-childminder
- DBS disclosure is now done online and follows on from EY2
- First aid training - which must be LA approved
- Ofsted will send a 'suitability' letter
Before you leave your assistant on their own with children you must ensure they are properly trained to your standards.
- You will find more information about supervising your assistants in this blog.
- Your assistant should have attended safeguarding training. This can be in-house but it must be recorded.
- You MUST record the times your assistant is in sole charge of the children and it must NOT be for more than 2 hours a day.
- It is strongly recommended that you write a risk assessment.
- Your assistant must not be left with more than 3 children under the age of 5.
You are responsible for your assistant at all times - even when you are not on the premises the 'buck' (if something goes wrong) stops with you.
You can find more information in my e-book 48 'Assistants' from my Knutsford Childminding website.