- Fees – DfE say they are ‘committed’ to ensuring fees remain affordable for independent childminders.
- Support – DfE says it will continue to be available to independent childminders via LAs and even agencies.
- Qualifications – confirmation that they have NO intention to raise qualification levels or require us to do extra training.
- Funding – independent childminders will NOT be refused funding if we are ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’. So, if this happens we must challenge it. DfE say they want more childminders to offer the places, not less.
- Reassurance for the future – parents will be able to continue using independent childminders AND getting vouchers, tax credits, funded places etc. these things will NOT be taken away from us!
I am delighted with this response from Ms Truss – it’s the first one I have seen which really answers the questions we asked here –
We can use it to show LAs if they put up barriers to funding – and to answer questions if our colleagues are unsure about staying independent in the future.